Every time you look back at technology and look back at the past, it’s just really embarrassing.
- In the execution of disruption, many large companies have a hard time because everybody has an opinion. I shield my team from those opinions. Give them a maximum operating space, and let them go.
- Various states are passing legislation right now to enable self-driving cars. Nevada, Florida, various others. The social acceptance and political acceptance is actually very high.
- We shouldn’t make cars just safe. First we moved from flawed people to at-the-time-flawed computers, but at least we had the chance to make this really, really good.
- Right now we can drive a few miles, but not a couple of thousand. Having said this, I took the car to Tahoe and it drove flawlessly. My wife said the car was a better driver than me!
- There's a higher standard for a computer-driven car than a human-driven car. If self-driving cars had the same safety records as humans, nobody would accept it.
- The computer-driven car is a work in progress. It’s going to be a homework exercise for the next couple of months or years — I wish to get to the point where no accidents are caused by cars.